North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum on Wednesday night announced that high school winter sports practices can resume Nov. 30 with competitions to follow starting Dec. 14.
Burgum previously announced Nov. 13 that winter sports were being postponed until mid-December, although Wednesday night’s change means teams can resume their seasons earlier.
Reached prior to Burgum’s announcement, Hillsboro-Central Valley Burros athletic director Dave Nelson said earlier Wednesday that the Dec. 14 date was selected to stem the tide of at least two cycles of the coronavirus.
“Pausing now would allow (COVID-19) to cycle through, and we have a lot of cases is what they’re saying, and so this is trying to use this time to hopefully drive those numbers down and protect the kids,” Nelson said.
“Hopefully the numbers go down so we can start up again on the 14th and that’s why they don’t want us to have open gym, open mats or things like that.”
The Burros’ wrestling practices already were under way and H-CV’s basketball teams were scheduled to begin this week prior to Burgum’s announcement Nov. 13.
For more, please subscribe to the Banner's online or print edition.